Important Medieval discoveries at East Street, Lewes, East Sussex.
An archaeological evaluation and subsequent strip and map excavation was undertaken by CBAS at 5 East Street, Lewes in advance of residential redevelopment. The excavation demonstrated a large degree of cultural continuity on the site from the Saxo-Norman period through to the modern era. A large Medieval rubbish pit was dated to the Early Medieval period and produced a carefully stratified assemblage of pottery predominately dating between c.1125 and c.1225 AD, whilst several smaller pits were thought to belong to a Later Medieval phase.
It is possible that during Medieval times the site occupied the rear portion of a Medieval tenement which fronted on to the High Street.
Two chalk structural features as well as further pits were also excavated and assigned to the Early Post Medieval period, whilst a number of later features were thought to relate to the construction of a terrace of three 19th century cottages and subsequently the Old Library extension, which until recently had stood on the site. The artefactual assemblage was dominated by pottery, animal and fish bone, and CBM with a growing emphasis on the latter during the Post-Medieval period, possibly as a result of building and demolition in the area of the site. A full report is currently being prepared for Sussex Archaeological Collections.